Diabetes mellitus is a condition in which the body’s ability to respond to insulin or produce insulin is impaired. This results in abnormal carbohydrate metabolism and elevated blood glucose levels. In this episode you’ll learn the basic things to know about diabetes so you can feel confident at the bedside or on nursing school exams (including NCLEX!).
Hit the play button to learn:
- Differences between the various types of diabetes
- Physiology of blood glucose and pathophysiology of diabetes
- Classic signs and symptoms of diabetes (including the three Ps)
- Vital nursing assessments for a patient with diabetes
- Tests utilized in the treatment of diabetes
- Diabetes treatments including pharmacology and the different types of insulin
- Other important treatments including foot care, nutrition, and lifestyle modifications
- Hypoglycemia treatment
- Important patient/family education
For even more information about diabetes, check out Med Surg Solution.
Read the article and view references here.
If this episode helped you, please take a moment to rate and review the show! This helps others find the podcast, which helps me help even more people 🙂
The information, including but not limited to, audio, video, text, and graphics contained on this website are for educational purposes only. No content on this website is intended to guide nursing practice and does not supersede any individual healthcare provider’s scope of practice or any nursing school curriculum. Additionally, no content on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.