Sickle cell disease (SCD) is one of the most common inherited hematologic disorders and can lead to serious complications including organ failure and death. In this episode, Nurse Mo talks through the key things you should know about sickle cell disease, including:
- The four key crises of sickle cell disease
- How SCD affects different organs and systems in the body
- Who is most at risk for the disease
- Key signs and symptoms of SCD and vaso-occlusive crisis
- Priority nursing assessments
- Tests utilized to diagnose and evaluate the condition
- Treatments for SCD, including vaso-occlusive crisis
- Four medications utilized to help prevent vaso-occlusive events
- Important education points to share with patients and families
Want to learn more about the only real cure for sickle cell disease? Learn about bone marrow transplant in episode 279.
Did you enjoy the PodQuiz at the end of the episode? Imagine having over a 100 episodes dedicated to PodQuizzes covering a wide range of nursing school topics! Start studying with Study Sesh today!
Read the article Sickle Cell Disease NCLEX Review and view references here.
If this episode helped you, please take a moment to rate and review the show in your favorite podcast app! This helps others find the podcast, which helps me help even more people 🙂
The information, including but not limited to, audio, video, text, and graphics contained on this website are for educational purposes only. No content on this website is intended to guide nursing practice and does not supersede any individual healthcare provider’s scope of practice or any nursing school curriculum. Additionally, no content on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.