Of all the assessments you learn in nursing school, neuro assessment can easily be the most challenging (not to mention the most lengthy!).
In this episode I’m taking you through the key types of neuro assessments and some basic tips for practicing them with confidence. You’ll learn:
- How and when to use the Glasgow Coma Scale
- The difference between somnolent and obtunded (and the other levels of consciousness, too!).
- Tips for cranial nerve assessment (spoiler alert…I still use a cheat sheet at the bedside!)
- The key components of a general neurological assessment for all of your patients
- An overview of the NIH Stroke Scale (yet another type of neuro assessment!)
- My pro tips for performing a neurological assessment
- And, which patients might be at higher risk for a neuro status change
So pop in those earbuds, lace up those walking shoes and let’s talk neuro!
Want to maximize your learning by reading this information, too? Check out the article and references.
Nursing School Thrive Guide: Get the book that’s like having your nursing school bestie by your side every step of the way.
RATE, REVIEW AND FOLLOW!
If this episode helped you, please take a moment to rate and review the show! This helps others find the podcast, which helps me help even more people 🙂
Click here, scroll to the bottom, then simply tap to rate with 5 stars and select, “write a review.” I’d love to hear how the podcast has helped you!
If you’re not following yet, what are you waiting for? It takes just a quick moment and the episodes show up like magic every Thursday. And, when I release a bonus episode, those show up, too! You’ll never miss a thing! In Apple Podcasts, just click on the three little dots in the upper right corner here.
Know someone who would also love to study with me? Share the show or share specific episodes with your classmates…when we all work together, we all succeed! On Apple Podcasts, the SHARE link is in the same drop-down as the follow link. Spread the love!
Thanks for studying with me!